Hello again, dear readers. My siblings and I finished the final episode (and the movie) of Downton Abbey just in time for the the new year to begin and I couldn’t resist sharing some thoughts on it. I really enjoyed the show, it had enough drama to keep it moving, but it was also slow-paced enough that it was relaxing in a way. It is the perfect show to watch while typing something up or washing eggs or picking up the house.
Anyway, here are some scattered thoughts about Downton Abbey. 😀
*If you have not seen Downton, be warned, there are some spoilers ahead.*
We started watching Downton on library DVDs the night my baby brother was born. It had stormed that day and we lost power for a handful of hours, so we decided to give it a shot on my laptop.
I don’t think that any of us particularly liked it at first, and we didn’t watch the next episodes until several weeks later. But, we returned to it because it had been awhile since we had an extensive show to watch together.
- Due to the fact that we fast-forwarded a couple of scenes in season one, my sister still insists that Mary killed Mr. Pamuk….why, I don’t know.
- The fact that the entire cast is incredibly white, pasty white actually, especially in the first couple of seasons (I had begun to wonder if any of them had ever been exposed to the sun..), bothered me at first, but I eventually worked through that, although I still have conflicting thoughts on it…..
- Mr. Bates and Anna: I am in awe of how much drama they managed to generate for the show. I mean the murder accusations, the former Mrs. Bates, Anna’s rape (the saddest and most surprising thing in the entire show) and don’t forget all the jail time.
- I truly appreciate the fact that they all rewear their clothing so often; it feels quite realistic.
- Mary and Edith…their relationship is terrible. Every time they went at each other – or sabotaged one another – I was simply grateful for my friendship with my sister. I must say that I did love the scene in Season 6 where Edith finally calls Mary out, using some very accurate words. 😀
- Sometimes I liked Cora, sometimes she drove me crazy. The same can be said of how I feel about Robert.
- I will forever be upset over the unfairness of the fact that we had to suffer through 3 (or was it really just two?) seasons of Matthew/Mary drama and we only had a handful of episodes with Henry! (I love Henry, he is absolutely the best male love interest in the entire show.)
- Tom, what can I say about Tom? When we were first introduced to Branson, I was not a fan, at all, but by the end he was one of my favorite characters. I love his relationships with both Mary and Edith; they really needed a brother. His was one of the most interesting arcs of the show and I am eagerly anticipating watching him get married in a few months. 😀
- Violet and Isobel are about half of the reason that I enjoyed this show so much. They are hilarious and wonderful. Their rivalry turned friendship is impeccably explored.
- Cora’s mother, the Mrs. Levinson is the one character (other than Henry) who I wish we could have seen more of. The way that she is completely unbothered by Violet and her general American frankness is breath of fresh air in the episodes in which she graced us with her presence.
Well, I could go on and on, mentioning bits and pieces of what I liked and disliked about Downton, but I’ll bore you (even more) and there is no need for that. 😀
Well, have you seen Downton Abbey? If so, any thoughts to share?